Friday, September 9, 2011

Kamikaze Diaries Part II - A Tribute To Yukio Araki

Yukio Araki, holding a puppy, with four other pilots of the 72nd Shinbu Squadron at Bansei, Kagoshima. Araki died the following day, at age 17, in a suicide attack on ships near Okinawa.

I have read few verses that carved on a granite block to the Kamikaze's pilot monument dedicated to him and the rest of Japanese ace :


You and I, blossoms of the same cherry tree..
That bloomed in the naval academy's garden
Blossoms know they must blow in the wind someday
Blossoms in the wind, fallen for their country

You and I, blossoms of the same cherry tree
That bloomed in the flight school garden
I wanted us to fall together, just as we had sworn to do..
Oh, why did you have to die and fall before me?

You and I, blossoms of the same cherry tree
Though we fall far away from one another
We will bloom again together in Yasukuni shrine
spring will find us again, blossoms of the same cherry tree..